The GreenTec Awards are Europe's biggest environmental and economic prize. The Awards for 2014 were presented at the Internationales Congress Center München (ICM) on the evening of 4 May and was attended by various VIPs, prominent personalities, more than 100 journalists and 1,000 invited ‘Green’ guests, validating the worldwide growing demand for clean technologies and importance for an environmentally-friendly lifestyle.
The awards recognise ideas and innovations that help set new standards in terms of green environmental technologies and demand for an environmentally-friendly lifestyle. On Sunday evening, awards were bestowed upon companies, institutions and individuals operating in the following categories: Automobile, Construction & Living, Energy, Communication, Lifestyle, Aviation, Production, Recycling & Resources, Water & Sewage as well as six special prizes categories comprising of Galileo Wissenspreis Award (ProSieben), IFAT Environmental Leadership, Intelligent urbanisation, Special Award Music, Start-up Award and the WWF Award.
The GreenTec Awards have been held annually since 2008 to promote ecological commitment and enthusiasm for technology. Winners are chosen after grading the contribution of each finalist based on environmental protection, degree of innovation and the project's ease of implementation.
- Automobility Category: RUBIN from Continental Reifen Deutschland GmbH promotes the cultivation and utilisation of dandelions to make natural rubber.
- Construction & Living Category: Carbon Concrete Composite (C3) from the Institute for Solid Construction, TU Dresden, for a new composite material made of carbon and high-performance concrete.
- Energy Category: The Battery Park from Younicos (in cooperation with Schwerin-based green utility WEMAG) will help to integrate more renewable energy into existing grids.
- Communication Category: Strom09 – Volle Pulle Zukunft mit dem BVB from LichtBlick SE, is a joint project with the BVB, the objective of which is to reduce CO2 emissions by 25,000 tonnes per year.
- Lifestyle Category: 'Bio-Nature' straws from Bio-Strohhalme.com bring back the original straw to eliminate 25,000 tons of plastic waste created by plastic beverage straws.
- Aviation Category: E-PORT AN – Electromobility at the Frankfurt Airport from the Lufthansa Group, Fraport AG, the State of Hesse and the Rhine-Main Electromobility Model Region focuses on significantly reducing pollutants emitted vehicles used for handling of aircraft on apron.
- Production Category: Factory of the Future – Intelligently linking production and buildings from Weidmüller Interface GmbH & Co. KG. Using its production facilities, which were completed in 2011, this entry demonstrated how integrating production and infrastructure can reduce energy requirements by up to 95 percent.
- Recycling & Resources Category: Separating composite materials using microemulsion from Saperatec GmbH is a technical innovation that allows the separation and recovery of composite materials, which was not possible until now.
- Water & Sewage Category: PUROO power-saving wastewater treatment plant from ATB Umwelttechnologien GmbH is a plant that overcomes the shortcomings of current systems, requires fewer electrical components and uses at least 50 percent less electricity.
- Special Galileo Wissenspreis Award (ProSieben): Bees Go Balcony – An urban home for bee populations from Balkonbienen makes it possible for everyone who has a balcony to keep bees and produce and harvest their own honey.
- Special IFAT Environmental Leadership Award: Club of Rome for its active commitment to a sustainable future since 1968.
- Special intelligent urbanisation Award: Energy-efficient utilisation of surplus heat in the district heating network of the Chinese city of Anshan from Danfoss.
- Special Award Music: Schiller for songs that raise environmental awareness.
- Special Start-up Award: akvoFloatTM from akvolution GmbH is a project that promotes more affordable seawater desalination.
- WWF Special Award: Stadtbiene 2.0 from o’pflanzt is! e. V. is an urban communal garden where bees can be kept ecologically and where wild bees and bumblebees can feed and nest.
RESET was also shortlisted for the GreenTec Awards in the Communications category. Although we did not win it, we are extremely humbled and pleased to have been nominated - a big thank you to everyone who voted for us in the public vote. We will continue to turn information about smart approaches to sustainable development into effective action, thus making a sustainable future possible. Congratulations to all the winners!